Skip to main content

The Home Stretch

Current Word Count: ~146,000.
Current Page Count: 655, double-spaced.
Listening to: Forest of Illusion: Chrono Cross OST

____

As crazy as it feels for me to type it, my book is 3/4 complete. If learning Hebrew, work, and a possible internship don't kill me this year, I estimate that I will have the first draft of the story finished by Spring 2013.

Have I said this is crazy yet?

I love what has happened with the story. Plotting a long tale is a daunting prospect. Stephen King says that plotting is like trying to excavate a skeleton with a jackhammer. It might be good for getting big rocks out of the way, but once you get close to those bones, you have pull out your chisel, hammer, and brush.

The metaphor is apt. While I always knew of a few big bullet points on the timeline of the story, the rest of it grew organically. Ideas, plot twists, and even characters invented themselves as the need arose. The story has gone directions I never would have anticipated. I consider this fact very seriously in light of chapter 34, a good portion of which I wrote over two years ago. I had to surgically implant this old material right into a living story. Some things had to be cut away in order to mesh with what actually ended up happening (as opposed to how Ithought things would proceed) but the heart of that insert remained intact.

Publishing is a still a big, nebulous monster, but I think it'll be a lot less scarier once I get my first novel under my belt.

If you've been following me this long, you've got my love.



D
____

Current Story Outline

BOOK 1: LYING AWAKE

Prologue: The Prose of Photius, Record One

1: The Autumn Garden

2: Midnight

3: Ghosts of Chimon-Jing

4: The Demon

5: The Conclave

6: What Friends are For

7: Helmsman's Folly

8: The Merchant Arcade

9: Miles from Mine

10: We Should be Sleeping

11: If the Stars are Willing

12: Broken Promises

13: The Only Life I've Ever Known

14: A Well to Draw From

15: What Tomorrow Holds

16: A Lovely Day

17: Revelations

18: City on the Winds

19: Storm Clouds

20: Event Horizon

21: To Reap a Whirlwind

22: Falling

23: The Heavens Remained Silent

BOOK 2: SOUL SLEEP

Interlude: The Prose of Photius, Record Two

24: Awakenings

25: Prison Cell(s)

26: The Voice on the Other Side

27: Greasers

28: The Knowledge of Good and Evil

29: A Letter from a Murderer

30: Into the Hinterlands

31: I am of the Gifted

32: Judsung Hollow

33: The Wrong Business

34: Running Toward the Sun

35: A Good Death

BOOK 3: A WORLD FULL OF VICTIMS

Interlude: The Prose of Photius, Record Three

36: Sheol and All its Demons

Comments