Skip to main content

The Quantum Fall of Thaddeus Archibald DuBois, Available on Amazon.com

What started as a contest entry for Scribophile.com has, two years later, turned into a serialized adventure starring me, a suit-wearing gorilla, and a 19th-century strongman...with time travel! The Quantum Fall of Thaddeus Archibald DuBois Episode One: "Peter Pan Complexes for the 21st-Century Man" is available for download on your Kindle for a cool $1.49USD. Do you like mustaches? Burly men who crack 19th-century toilet jokes? Suited gorillas with impeccable taste and a penchant for mixing cocktails? How about quirky and nerdy humor, Victorian clothes, historical fiction, time travel, and just a hint of mystery? You may have found the book for you.

If you don't have a Kindle, there are plenty of apps out there that will let you read Kindle books on your computer, tablet, or smart phone! You can even use a Kindle Cloud Reader to read directly off of Amazon.com!

The Quantum Fall of Thaddeus Archibald DuBois is a humorous autobiographical anthology starring an 1890s circus strongman, a suit-wearing gorilla, and a twentysomething writer in the midst of an existential crisis...with time travel.

A very special thanks to the talented Heather Harris for designing the cover. Doesn't it look great?


New York City, 1891. The performers of E.D. James & Sons Traveling Wonders, along with a little boy and a young widow, are mourning the loss of the troupe's strongman. It was a terrible accident. The strongman shouldn't have been near the cannoneer's equipment. The little boy should have been tucked away safely in his parents' tent. Now, the happy circus tunes are replaced by the funeral dirge of one Thaddeus Archibald DuBois.

Chicago, 2014. I sit in a lavish library across from a bodybuilder with waxed hair and mustache. I'm a student majoring in journalism and history at the University, and after following a smattering of seemingly unconnected historical references, I've tracked down this bodybuilder. He tells me things he shouldn't—couldn't—know about me. He tells me he knows because he's a time traveler. I ask him about this quantum leap. He tells me it wasn't a leap, but a fall. “A man who leaps knows where he intends to land,” he tells me. “A man who falls can only hope.”

I'm not sure I believe him, but he hands me a centuries-old katana that glints like new and reads of a mysterious inscription. He tells me the sword is no less mine than the hands holding it. There's adventure afoot in every time and place: heroes to be joined, villains to be vanquished, tales to be told, and he needs a partner to traverse space-time with him. I'm not sure I believe him, but I follow, because he's the sort of man you charge with, swords raised and guns blazing, into the unknown.

One way or another, he's got to get home to that little boy and that young widow. He tells me he didn't die that day 1891, but fell. He tells me it was the Quantum Fall of Thaddeus Archibald DuBois.
_____


Agree? Disagree? Something nice to say? Leave it below.



D

Comments